[CQ-Contest] 2000-20001 ARRL Contest Season

Henderson, Dan N1ND dhenderson at arrl.org
Fri Nov 3 09:38:40 EST 2000

The 2000-2001 ARRL contest season kicks off this weekend with the 2000 ARRL
November CW Sweepstakes. The 1999-2000 season was the best ever for the
ARRL, as we processed a record number of entries - nearly 18,000 from our
various contests. It's a good time to restate some important changes for
submitting entries for ARRL Contests.

As of this past Wednesday November 1, 2000, all electronically logged
entries to ARRL Contests must be submitted to the ARRL Contest Branch in the
Cabrillo file format. A paper printout of the file is not an acceptable
substitute.  The latest versions of the commercial logging programs all will
output the Cabrillo format file.  A complete Cabrillo file will include a
header with the complete summary sheet information; and the log file, with
the QSO data in the specified columns.  The complete Cabrillo specifications
are found in the November 1999 issue of QST or may be found at
www.kkn.net/~trey/cabrillo/. If you are running an older version of your
logging program, you may want to contact them to get the most up-to-date
version.

Remember the new West Central Florida (WCF) section was added to the ARRL
Field Organization in January 2000.  A total of 80 sections are required to
make the "Clean Sweep" in the November Sweepstakes.

A common question asked is "how do I mark dupes in the log file?"  The
simple answer is "You don't."  The log checking process does not rely on the
claimed score from your log.  After processing your log, it calculates your
remaining valid QSOs and Multipliers to determine your final score.  All of
the major commercial logging software packages already count any dupes in
your log as zero point QSOs, so the log checking software does not penalize
you for "unmarked dupes."  Handwritten paper log penalties remain the same.

Another common question is "How do I mark off-time?"  Again, the simple
answer is "You don't."  The log checking software will search your Cabrillo
log file and calculate off-times.  Do not add off times into the Soapbox
Section and do not edit them into your Cabrillo log data.  If we find a log
with which we have a question regarding off times, we will contact the
participant.

Before you submit your Cabrillo log file entry, please verify that the
summary sheet header section of the file includes all of the required
information.  Do not assume that your software automatically includes
everything you need in the header.  Over the past few weeks, I have been
looking at the output files of the various programs and find some problems.
For example, one of the commercial software packages allows you to select
"Single Op Assisted" for the ARRL Ten Meter Contest, but there is no such
category in the rules.  Another example is submitting as "Single Op
Unlimited" or "Single Band Assisted" in the ARRL International DX Contest.
Those are not valid entry categories for those contests. Multioperator
stations may need to edit in the additional operator callsigns to the file.
Please verify the information in the Cabrillo Header is correct before you
submit the file to us.

You only have to submit one file: the Cabrillo log file.  Please make
certain that it is properly named before sending it to us.  Name it
<YOURCALL.TXT> (such as N1ND.txt).  Improperly named files are more easily
overwritten or lost.  Imagine the problems we would have with a hundred
files named "SSCW2000.txt.) Do not send .bin or .qdf files.  The Cabrillo
format log file must be in ASCII format. Excel spreadsheets, Word or
WordPerfect documents, or other such program files are not usable and may
cause your entry to be classified as a checklog. And remember there is a
unique e-mail address for each contest (found in each contest rules
announcement in QST.)

If you have any questions in regards to the ARRL Contest program or need
information on log submissions, please contact me at n1nd at arrl.org or by
phone at 860-594-0232.  Good luck to all of you in what promises to be an
exciting contest season.

Dan Henderson, N1ND
ARRL Contest Branch Manager

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com