[CQ-Contest] ethics on two questions...

w9wi at bellsouth.net w9wi at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 3 02:12:10 EST 2000

CQ Contest Digest wrote:
> If CQWW were football, you'd have a handful of people with a table set up
> on the football field trying to eat dinner while the Superbowl was taking
> place.

Except that the football stadium is private property that exists for the
benefit of the teams involved.  The amateur radio bands are shared
spectrum.  We do owe it to the non-contesters to not intentionally stomp
on existing QSOs.  Failure to do so results in damaging restrictions
like contest-free zones.

(note that I am NOT defending those who wish to force you off your run
frequency for the Disease Discussion Net coming up in 5 minutes, or who
think they should be allowed to operate high-fidelity full-carrier AM
with 15KHz receiver bandwidth and not suffer any interference...)

> If you are the multipilier station at a M/S and answer some guy and say,
> "sorry, you are not a multiplier" you are WORKING him.  The key word is
> WORKED.  Nowhere does it mention LOGGED or zero points.

What happens when you're S&Ping on the multiplier station and you find a
station who may or may not be a mult but who never IDs?  In one case on
Sunday afternoon, I encountered this situation with a loud station with
a Down Under accent.  After listening to a few QSOs with no ID, I
finally called him - gave him "QSL except for your callsign, you're 59
04".  He signed ZL-something - *not* a multiplier.  I simply didn't log
the QSO.  How do people feel about the ethics of that?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

--KAA03423.973277522/loja.kkn.net--