[CQ-Contest] Cabrillo - Who's in Charge?

Paul EI5DI paul at ei5di.com
Wed Nov 22 10:46:34 EST 2000

Larry Weaver" N6TW is right in saying the
following.

1.  Cabrillo, email logs, and "What do you really
want?" questions abound.

2.  The Cabrillo format has to be adapted to the
needs of each contest.

Larry has gone on to modify or add Cabrillo
"summary sheet" headers for CQWW.  Some of these
are at variance with the existing standard.

They are:

   CQ          CONTEST: CQWW
   CABRILLO    CONTEST: CQ-WW-SSB  (or CQ-WW-CW)

   CQ          MODE: PH
   CABRILLO    No mode header (it's known from the
CONTEST: header)

   CQ          CQ WW ZONE:  14 (say)
   CABRILLO    No CQ WW Zone (it's in the QSO
records)

   CQ          POWER:
   CABRILLO    No Power Header (it's included in
the CATEGORY: header)

   CQ          TOTAL QSOS:
   CQ          TOTAL ZONES:
   CQ          TOTAL COUNTRIES:
   CQ          MAILING LABEL:
   CQ          EMAIL ADDRESS:
   CABRILLO    None of these exist in Cabrillo

If I was in Larry's position, I'd have done the
same thing.  However, what's been highlighted is
that Cabrillo needs a lot of work before it can be
considered a "standard".

I'm concerned because I write contest logging
software, and my users want to know whether or not
it supports Cabrillo. It's difficult to support a
standard that's ambiguous or incomplete.

Who's in charge?

73,
Paul EI5DI

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com