[CQ-Contest] Cabrillo - Who's in Charge?

George Fremin III - K5TR geoiii at loja.kkn.net
Wed Nov 22 05:35:03 EST 2000

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 10:46:34AM -0000, Paul EI5DI wrote:

> same thing.  However, what's been highlighted is
> that Cabrillo needs a lot of work before it can be
> considered a "standard".

I have seen similar comments by others and I would
like to point out a few things.

Cabrillo was not designed to be some sort of contest
reporting standard for _all_ contests.

Cabrillo was not designed as a standard log data
exchange format.

The Cabrillo format was designed to tackle problems
the ARRL had with its electroinc log submissions.
It was designed to replace the ARRL log format for
the ARRL sponsored contests.

(It is true that some non-ARRL contest sponsors have adopted it.)

But this format was designed as a log submission format
for ARRL sponsored contests.  And it is intended as a
data exchange of log and summary information between
the contest sponsor and the contest entrant.

I do think that the point can be made that if you change
the format in such a way that it is at odds with the
Cabrillo form then maybe your chnaged format should
not be called Cabrillo but instead should be called
"<your-contest> electronic log submission format" or
some other name of your choosing.

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."
geoiii at kkn.net
830-868-2510
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com