[CQ-Contest] IDing revisited...

LRod at pobox.com LRod at pobox.com
Thu Nov 30 14:19:40 EST 2000

> There is NO reason why you shouldn't give your call after every contact...

I don't agree. I've been told by some experienced DXpeditioner/contesters that
ID frequency, much like CW speed, can be a pileup management tool

> In the US we are required to ID at the end of "each communication"

True. However, the rule used to say "at the end of a transmission or series of
transmissions."

> ...that probably means after each contact...

I think you're stretching it there. Keep in mind what the rule originally said, and
I believe it's clear that you can still dialogue (even with several stations
sequentially) for 10 minutes before IDing.

Even just using the current language, it's hard to imagine that the intent of the
rule is to require an ID everytime someone new is in the conversation,
particularly when you aren't even required to ID until 10 minutes into the
"communication" however you choose to define it.

Remember too, that sometimes it's perceptions. If you just came across a  pileup
and you think it might be someone you need, ANY delay in getting an ID seems
like an eternity, even if they're doing a reasonable job of IDing say every 5 Qs.

Having said all of that, I agree that while there are some very successful stations
that ID frequently, there are plenty of stations that don't ID enough.

73, Rod K4QG     |  It's pronounced
                          |  "jig-a-byte"
                          |  Look it up.

Never be afraid to try something new;