[CQ-Contest] IDing revisited...

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Nov 30 11:01:28 EST 2000

At 02:19 PM 11/30/00 -0000, LRod at pobox.com wrote:

>> There is NO reason why you shouldn't give your call after every contact...
>
>I don't agree. I've been told by some experienced DXpeditioner/contesters
that
>ID frequency, much like CW speed, can be a pileup management tool

I'm not claiming to be in the experienced category, but seems to me you
want to work everyone who calls you.  In a contest with an exchange as
short as CQWW's, if they have to wait very long (30 seconds?), they will
QSY, and you may never see them again.  For that reason, during good
running periods in CQWW CW I used the following rough rule of thumb:

-- if just one person had called, then I always signed my call after the QSO;
-- if 2 had called and both were loud, I just used a "TU" to encourage a
tail-end;
-- if the second caller seemed weak or uncertain, I would sign my call;
-- and if many had called, I would keep on with just "TU" till the pileup
was down to one of the lower threshholds.

This seemed to work pretty well, in the sense that more often than not, I
seemingly worked most of any given sized pile, and got relatively few
plaintive "Call?" messages.  When I deviated, even just signing my
4-character call every time, the percentage of people who just went away
seemed to increase.

73, Pete N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database