[CQ-Contest] Internet/WebCam in the contest?!

Gilmer, Mike mgilmer at gnlp.com
Mon Oct 2 15:18:15 EDT 2000

Wow, a subject like this can sure get sticky in a hurry!

If a webcam solicits operators to get on the air for the contest in general,
I think that's a good thing.

If the webcam can be construed as self-solicitation (as others have pointed
out) in any way then IMO, it IS against the rules.

The unfortunate part is that there is almost NO way to avoid giving away the
identity of the station on the webcam - it could be in the URL or on the
wall in camera view; you recognize the face(s); if there's any audio).

I could imagine some guys deliberately hassling webcam-enabled stations,
just to witness them getting irritated.

A new category anyone?  SOW - Single-op-webcam?

Mike
N2MG

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com