[CQ-Contest] Re: M/S CQing in CQWW

AA4NC at aol.com AA4NC at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 18:59:48 EST 2000

This is an interesting question, but I think that it IS allowed under
existing rules. This is because CQWW M/S is NOT a SINGLE transmitter
category. How many of us in the M/S category were using a single
transmitter?- (NONE that I am aware of!) In fact, not only were we using
multiple transmitters, but we were transmitting on two radios simultaneously.
This is within the rules as published...

Now having said that, I feel that good operating practice should limit CQing
by M/S stations to little or (preferably) none. I will admit that this
weekend I called "CQ zone 3" once on 160m - N6RO promptly answered providing
the mult! - thanks Ken... I'm not proud of it however :-)
Imagine what the bands would sound like if all the M/S stations were on
calling CQ like M/Ms, only to tell you that they can't work you because
you're not a new mult. I have actually had some of the big Italian M/S
stations do this to me. In my opinion, this is a poor operating practice that
is on par with the M/M stations that won't log US stations.

Unlike ARRL contests, which have a true M/S class, the CQ M/S category is
really a limited Multi-2. When I think of it that way, it's easier for me to
interpret. Anyway, I doubt CQ is changing any rules - (never have, never
will). There are certainly more heinous rules and loopholes than this one in
CQ contests.

My .02,

Will  AA4NC / W4MR

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com