[CQ-Contest] CC&R Category

Sylvan Katz jskatz at sk.sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 25 08:33:49 EDT 2000

Bill and fellow contesters:

> CC&R Category Low Power & QRP - Stations must not be greater than 1 acre
> in size and must be made up entirely of wire antennas or single element
> commercial antennas such as multi-band verticals.

I think your suggestion is excellent. However, I would suggest that even 1
acre is very large for most of us. A city lot of say 75' x 150' might be more
realistic. In fact in many EU and other countries city lots of this size are
either rare and/or very expensive. If the size of the lot is restricted to say
75' x 150' (25m x 45m) then there may be no need to put a restriction on the
type of antenna since at most you might be able to put up say a 50'-60' tower,
a tribander or something similar and perhaps a 2 el 40m yagi (it will just
barely rotate with the lot size if the tower is placed near the center of
yard). If the power level is restricted to 100w (and perhaps a QRP category)
and since the antennas are already restricted due to space then the ERP of
competitors in this category will be quite similar. The contest will be more
related to skill, geographical location and how inventive the operator can be
in constructing an antenna system under the space restrictions. I believe a
category of this nature would encourage more operators into contesting.

Have you any suggestion as to how to make this happen?

73 .... sylvan

> our hobby (contesting) depends on attracting new blood.  People living
> under these restrictions are becoming common place.  We need to be
> addressing the audience.

By the way -- people in this category more than likely make up over 95% of all
the amateur radio community and probably have done so for many decades.
--
Sylvan Katz
Saskatoon, Sask

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com