[CQ-Contest] Penalties CQWW??

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 5 14:30:30 EDT 2000

K3BU wrote:

>Why should anybody get any penalties with computerized logging?

        To encourage more accuracy by everyone!  In the case of CQ,
the argument is somewhat academic anyway.  UBN's are published well
before publishing deadlines (about 2 weeks after UBN's first appear)
so that you can review them and contest any scoring errors.  In the case
of very close scores or new records, I examined every B- QSO and sent my
results to K3EST.  He then rescored my log with corrections and sent
a copy of the revised UBN.  I feel this is an extremely fair process
and only wish ARRL would follow it.  Had they done this with the
'98 10 meter results and '99 DX CW results, scoring errors would have
been detected before the "final" results were published.  Hopefully
ARRL will migrate to CQ's process as they get their log-checking
software tuned up so that they are not on such tight deadlines.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  Reviewing UBN's does not make sense for every submission.  If it
is not a close race or new record, I wouldn't waste my time (or theirs).

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com