[CQ-Contest] Dupes and computer logs

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 6 23:41:03 EDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 10:20:56PM -0400, Guy Olinger wrote:

> Well, I'm going to ask this question again. I've never gotten an answer.
>
> Let's say that I work W7W?Y. I never for sure get the call right. He
> fades out, or the pileup that forms after I discover him and call him
> buries him.
>
> HOW DO I LEAVE IT IN THE LOG SO
>
>    1) It's clear to the contest committee that I have no intention of
> claiming credit and I'm not criminally trying to sneak in a point.

You didn't make a QSO, so it shouldn't be in the log.

>    2) W7WHY doesn't get penalized for claiming a nil QSO. After all he
> didn't do anything wrong.

Assuming you didn't give W7WHY a reason to believe that you did copy his
call and information correctly, he shouldn't put you in his log either.
If he does, he deserves a NIL.  He didn't make the QSO any more than you did.

>    3) If I later work W7WHY (and since not intending to claim credit for
> the first, and for that matter not sure it was him I tried to work the
> first time) not have it dumped as a duplicate to an earlier QSO that I
> got penalized for that I was trying not to claim.

Always work dupes.  The log checking software should be smart enough to
figure this situation out and not discredit your valid contact.

>   4) Something simple and clear to "NO CLAIM" the QSO in TR and in the
> Cabrillo Format.

This feature isn't necessary, as you're only going to log actual contacts.

> IT IS NOT CLEAR HOW TO ACCOMPLISH THIS.

> Regards, Guy
> k2av at contesting.com
> Apex, NC

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com