[CQ-Contest] Predicting Unusual Openings

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Sep 12 22:35:27 EDT 2000

One of the things that seems to distinguish the great contest ops from the
rest of us is the ability to get the multipliers that most folks don't.
K3ZO is a prime example, and I've often heard him talk about the importance
of getting the odd openings, particularly on long and skewed paths, that
propagation predictions typically overlook.

I find myself at a loss, particularly in the morning here on the East
Coast, deciding whether short or long path is more appropriate into deep
central and southeast Asia, without a lot of thrashing around turning my
antennas 180 degrees to compare signal strength.  I'm sure there are a
skillion other examples.  But what I'm asking is --- are there any rules of
thumb, or pointers anyone would like to offer on catching these special
openings to hard-to-get mults?

Thanks!

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio