[CQ-Contest] Another ignored contest skill

Sylvan Katz jskatz at sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 13 07:45:48 EDT 2000

I am amused by the ongoing discussion about using rules to make minor
adjustments to contest scores when the opportunities for larger and more
significant abuse of the 'spirit' of contesting remains unmentioned. Some of us
know of stations that believe a one KW linear is just too small no matter what
the contest or national legal limit is. And how about those low power ops who
think that 100w  'over' the 100w  low power limit is just fine too. All too
many of us would like to thing that hams are an honest bunch - like amateur
athletes - and that we play in contests merely for the 'spirit' of the game.
While this may be true for most of us  it will continue to amuse me when I read
about processes that play with minor score adjustments when the 'sport' of
amateur radio contesting  lacks the equivalent of drug testing in amateur
athletics.

Like Pete, N4ZR, I think that when all things are equal - and they frequently
are not - exceptional skill produces the winners. I would like to hear more
about these exception skills and learn some tips for increasing my skills. But
I would also like to hear about adjudication processes that adjudicate and do
not just tinker in the noise.

Please forgive me for mentioning the unmentionable. I believe like many of the
cq-contest participants that all aspects of contesting - the good, the bad and
the ugly - should be discussed openly here. My only concern is that the
wonderful and insightful suggestions that are raised here merely echo though
the reflector without ever being absorbed by the contest adjudicators.

73 .... Syl

--
Sylvan Katz
Saskatoon, Sask