[CQ-Contest] ...the bottom line is VERY obvious

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Wed Sep 13 21:21:03 EDT 2000

K4OJ's note driving home the point about COPYING WHAT WAS SENT was right
on.  However, in these days of logging software, with the "literalness"
that comes with using a computer, applying Jim's point requires something
from the other end:

PEOPLE MUST SEND THE CORRECT STUFF!!!!!!!

For example, a VE9 sending "NB" in SS is NOT SENDING THE CORRECT
STUFF.  His exchange is a section, not his province.  If a KP4 station
sends me 59908 in the IARU HF Championship, he's NOT SENDING THE CORRECT STUFF.

So what are you going to do?  If he's sending the wrong stuff, WHAT ARE YOU
GONNA LOG?  If you log the VE9 in NB you really should lose the QSO because
the rules clearly state that you're to copy a SECTION not a PROVINCE.  If
you get an erroneous zone (geez...that sounds interesting), the logchecker
will most likely disallow your QSO unless he has a log that explicitly says
otherwise.  Also, many logging programs won't allow you to log invalid data.

My personal technique is to COPY WHAT WAS SENT, but then apply my
contester's smarts to it - that is, I CORRECT IT IF THE ERROR IS
OBVIOUS.  I know some people will scream about this, but too bad.  Its the
most likely way I'm going to get credit for a valid QSO, and its the best
for everyone involved.  If for some reason I'm wrong and I lose the QSO,
then I can live with that.

There are some parts of exchanges where no question, you must COPY WHAT WAS
SENT.  Nicknames in Sprint or NAQP, received serial numbers, etc.  But
sometimes you gotta use your head.  I'm convinced that one difference
between a good contester and a mediocre one is that he or she can make good
QSOs out of jumbled data.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com