[CQ-Contest] Cheating

Allan and Bridget dxcc at dbtech.net
Thu Sep 21 10:38:22 EDT 2000

Well, you have to admit that while most of us know that the top ops are =
not cheaters, there have been quite a few threads on this reflector with =
regards to cheating.  Perhaps this is where some of the perception of =
"rampant cheating" has come from; I can't say.  However, it shouldn't =
make a difference in determining whether or not one contests.  I know =
more cheaters in the world of DXing than I do in the world of contesting =
(the worst I know of in contesting is intentional frequency stealing or =
malicious interference, and we know that these guys are not into the =
game seriously or they wouldn't waste their time), but I am still very =
much into DXing...I just have little respect for the guys that do the =
cheating (run too much power, call the guys from another guy's QTH over =
the phone, etc...I've heard some good ones).   I guess I also have =
another perspective on this...if someone blows it or leaves someone with =
a bad impression, I try to overcome his/her deficiency by helping to =
make it better...maybe it's the "atonement operator syndrome" LOL.  This =
does not mean that I'm anywhere near a top-ten type contester, but it =
does mean that I hope to balance out at least one op's bad experience =
with a good experience, whether it be in manners, operating skill, =
QSLing, or whatever I can manage to do within my power to make the world =
of radio seem a lot more positive...I think most of you would agree with =
that.  As to the cheaters?  I think the Biblical idea of whatever you =
sew you will reap comes to play here.  In other words, what goes around =
comes around.  And I agree with "Mr. Quack's" note regarding making your =
own notch.  Hope to CU in the pileups...contest or DX!
73,
Bridget, KS4YT :0)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com