[CQ-Contest] off times

Gilmer, Mike mgilmer at gnlp.com
Fri Sep 22 08:18:20 EDT 2000

KC5AJX wrote:

> Why is there an off time for single ops in contests????

It's part of the strategy for that particular contest - what times to take
off, and what times to operate.  Once in place, rules like this are
difficult to remove - so then it also becomes part of the legacy and
tradition.

> I have been told that it is so you
> don't get so tired during a contest.

That may be one reason, but see above.

> Well if I get too tired to operate in a
> contest I will take a break but if I am not that tired and can go the
> entire
> contest then why shouldn't I be able too?

Because, that's the rule! Simple as that. Yup, seems arbitrary, but the
Sprints' QSY rule, the NAQP low power rule,
you-can-only-work-each-station-once-regardless-of-band rule in SS are all
somewhat unique - but they give character to each contest.

>   There are even 12 hour contests that limit the single op to 10
> hours(NAQP)! Come now I am capable of working a contest for 12 hours!
> Maybe we need to have the multi op stations have off times for the ops and
>
> list the off times for every op there or just do away with the required
> breaks

Why are you involving multi-op operations in this discussion?  I don't see
the connection.

> I noticed that the ARRL 10 meter contest requires ALL station to only
> operate 36 out of 48 hours. Another rule that needs to be changed. When is
>
> the last time you heard 10 meters opened for 48 continuous hours?

Uh, you can only operate this contest for 36 hours, as you said...why would
the band need to be open 48 hours?

> You can't
> work 48 hours on 10 meters maybe 20 or 30 if conditions are excellent!!!!

I'm sorry, but which is it? Do you WANT off-times or NOT?

73
Mike
N2MG

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com