[CQ-Contest] Ionospheric heating

Tom Rauch W8JI at contesting.com
Fri Apr 6 17:10:04 EDT 2001

Hi Peter,

I originally thought you were talking about the ionosphere, but now I
see you are talking about troposphere.

 > The skeds were at random times, during the week in the evenings,
 > on weekends often over the day, always same symptoms.
 > I am pretty shure that this will be not possible on HF, but was often
 > found on 10m backscatter signals.

It was common with repeaters I took care of to have enhanced long-
range propagation as the evening wore on. The effect was very
repeatable, and occurred because the temperature of the earth was
warmer than the temperature of the sky.

It had nothing to do with the ionosphere, as most VHF
communication does not.

 > > Why didn't the local broadcast stations, with megawatts of ERP, keep
 > > the path open?
 >
 > The broadcaststations in germany are running not to much power
 > on the FM band. Most with 10KW ERP, just a few with 100KW.

What about TV broadcasts? What about SW broadcasts? Or has
this "theory" gotten to the point where a Ham with a few kilowatts
thinks his signal is the only signal reaching the sky?

Hams put far too much faith in the heating power of their tiny
insignificant off-and-on signals.

 > We think on our path, both sites use the same troposheric aeria for
 > reflection and keep that spot better ionized. As there is a major
 > industrial aeria  ( Ruhrgebiet )  between us we feel that probably the
 > layer of small dust particels  covering the aeria most of the time is
 > responible for that phenomena.

This has gone from bad to worse Peter. We can not heat or change
the very very thin ionosphere with continuous very high power
transmitters into antennas we might only dream of having, and now
we are heating or ionizing the much denser troposphere or particles
floating in the upper atmosphere.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI at contesting.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com