[CQ-Contest] Hollingsworth and Voluntary Bandplans

K8KFJ at aol.com K8KFJ at aol.com
Fri Aug 17 02:20:30 EDT 2001

In a message dated 08/16/2001 9:26:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tombaugh at discoverynet.com writes:

> Let's face it guys... It's a voluntary band plan... a gentlemen's agreement
> Hard to enforce... and no legal grounds.

I'm not all that sure you're correct about that Tom.  My guess would be that
operating in direct contradiction to the band plan could possibly fall under
FCC Part 97.101(a).  Have you ever read it?

"In all respects not specifically covered by FCC Rules, each amateur station
must be operated in accordance with good engineering and good amateur
practice".

For instance, I don't see how FM stations operating in the CW only, weak
signal area of 144 MHz could be construed as using good amateur practice.
Therefore, one would think such operation would fall under 97.101(a).

NOTE:  Good amateur practice does not appear under definitions contained
            in Part 97.3

Notice the wording "not specifically covered by FCC Rules".  Although the
bandplan is only one item not dealt with specifically in the FCC Rules, throw
in ole 97.101(a) to cover some bases you may have missed (as well as a
somewhat vague definition).  HI  Sounds pretty darn clever to me.

73 //Gary *K8KFJ*

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com