[CQ-Contest] Re: Dinged Good QSOs

Tree N6TR tree at kkn.net
Fri Aug 3 10:34:29 EDT 2001

SM2EKM asks:

> So how do I defend against this, or improve if you will.
> For example, how do I know that W8JI really logs my call
> correct, if not I´ll lose 4 QSO´s , right? Or is it reverse
> logic, i e W8JI has to improve his act for me to gain.
> Can someone please explain to me how this is a fair deal.
> If I make a misstake and log W8JI incorect I sure can buy
> that I get a penalty but the other way around????
> Is this really the case or do I missunderstand things,
> please explain to me.

Obivously, if you hear someone get your call wrong, you should
do whatever you can to have them correct it.

When your call is not found in a log, the log checking software
will try to find a busted callsign.  If W8JI logs you as SM2EKM
or something else that is one character removed from your call,
then it will consider this QSO to be in W8JI's log for the
purposes of checking your log.

Furthurmore - if the times and other information match up, it
will be flagged as a bad call - in W8JI's log (with associated
penalty).

If W8JI managles the call to the point that the program can't
figure out it was really SM2EKM (like if he logged SM1NKM),
the it will count as a NIL for you.  W8JI will end up with a
unique call.  It will probably not be busted because the program
never figure out that it was SM2EKM.

Most of the time - there will only be one character in error,
so you won't be penalized.

It isn't fair - except to realize that W8JI is also going to be
working your competition and if he makes the same kind of the
mistakes often, they will all have the same penalty applied.

I think if you are looking for a sports analogy - the best one is
the defensive/offensive foul when two players end up on the floor
after a collision.  There is going to be a call - and a foul is
going to be called on one player or the other.  Sometimes, the
call goes the wrong way.

The penalty discussion discussion is a separate discussion and us
log checkers have enough going on without wading into that mud
puddle.  We just call up the sponsors and ask them what the forumla
is (because it seems to be different for almost every contest).

73 Tree

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com