[CQ-Contest] No Account QSOs

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Sat Aug 4 14:27:51 EDT 2001

At 08:20 AM 8/4/01 -0700, Ward Silver wrote:
>I need to back up a bit on a suggestion that I made yesterday regarding
>changing the logging software and format to incorporate "no count" QSOs.
>
>While this may be one solution to the discarded or unlogged QSO problem,
>it's very non-trivial to implement across the playing field.  There is
>likely more bang for the buck to be had in educating and advertising
>beyond the regular competitors.  Let's table the thought of requiring
>everybody to rewrite their software...

Speaking as someone who would have to deal with this at both ends (logging
software and contest log checking), I think this would be a worthwhile
addition to the Cabrillo standard.

In a Cabrillo file, each QSO line begins with "QSO:".  One way to implement
Ward's suggestion would be that "no count" QSOs might start with "NOQ:"
(i.e., "no QSO") instead.

When the logchecking software scores the log, it would only use "QSO:"
contacts.  When trying to match up QSOs in another log, it would look at
that log's "QSO:" and "NOQ:" contacts.

If the logging program does not support "zeroing QSOs", it would be a
simple matter for the entrant to use a text editor to change the "QSO:" tag
in the Cabrillo file to "NOQ:" for any contact not to be claimed.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com