[CQ-Contest] Re: Dinged Good QSOs

kk9a at arrl.net kk9a at arrl.net
Mon Aug 6 22:20:32 EDT 2001

I understand that it would be impossible for log checking software to be
100% accurate since most people probably don't send in logs and even when
they do they may have badly miscopied your callsign or may not have even
logged by error.  In baseball if the umpire miscalls a "ball" it counts as
one ball and not four (3 penalty balls plus the original).  The rules were
written before computerized log checking and maybe should be updated.  While
I'm sure that my CQ WW log has some  uniques that were really busted calls,
it still hurts when I some of my good contacts taken away.  Occasionally a
multi operator will sign his personal call instead of the station callsign
by mistake.  This can also happen when operating portable.  In my log a
callsign a friend of mine was determined busted.  My friend tried to help my
score by giving me a contact which I clearly remember and instead it cost me
three!  While it's true that it didn't change my final position, I worked
hard for every QSO and I want to have them count.  I still make logging
mistakes, due to operator fatigue, etc., but I don't attempt E.S.P. contacts
and I do try to get it right as quickly as possible.   We can't eliminate
all of the possible errors, but maybe we can lessen the harsh penalty.  I
love contesting and I don't know what I would do with all of my spare time
and money without it.

73,
John