[CQ-Contest] To the "Best of the Best" - a query (long)

Randy Thompson, K5ZD k5zd at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 8 01:44:24 EDT 2001

Fighting words!  This is about as stupid as saying that people who fish in a
lake are better than people who fish in the ocean.

I used to be naive and believe that contesting from W1 was easy.  I moved to
New England from Texas after winning SS CW 4 times in a row and some decent
CQWW finishes.  I thought I was good and that I would show those W1's how
much better I was due to my experience of operating from a less fortunate
location.  My first DX contest was one of the most humbling experiences I
have ever had.  I got killed.

It took me more than 5 years just to learn how to operate a DX contest from
up here.  I am still learning.  There is a lot more to contesting than just
the mechanics of making QSOs.

One thing I have learned is that great contest ops are everywhere.  The best
ones adapt to the conditions they are given and do the best they can with
what they have.  The live for the competition.  The really good ones
recognize that there are differences in geography and station, but that
skill and talent are easily recognized, and acknowledged among peers.

Oh, my station is available for CQWW Phone if one of you West Coast types
wants to back Leigh up.

K5ZD

<snip>

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com