[CQ-Contest] Operating Skill

Martin Luther luther at mail.mdt.net.au
Wed Aug 8 02:10:10 EDT 2001

K0HB  asked about the best of the best.

Now that is really a way to get everyone to keep their heads down in case we
are thought of as being top heavy. i.e. big headed.

I have no delusions about the level of my skills but there is one thing that
is an obvious difference between the skilled operator and the lessor
operator. They know what is happening and how to react to it whether they
are running or searching.

A little bit of their basic knowledge is learned from others but a lot of
the advanced skills are learned in competition. This is particularly true
for aspects like propogation which are locationally influenced.

One example that keeps cropping up on this reflector is how to run a pile up
and how often to give your call. The skilled op knows there is not one
correct answer here. Some of us err towards giving the call all the time
some err towards giving it less but we have the same goal. We all want to
control the rhythm of the stations we are working. We want the pile under
control and feeding through as fast as possible. Too many stations and it
slows down, too few and it slows down, the level at which this happens
depends on the individual running operators ability to copy calls quickly
and the capability of the antenna being used and the stations location with
respect to the calling pile.

Complicated 'aint it?

The skilled op varies the message ,even if only subtly, to scare up more
into the pile or to stop people calling for a bit.

The skilled op does this instinctively, they also know who in the pile will
stay and who will go. The loudest is not always the one picked to work!

The skilled operator can sense when it is time to move on or stay a bit
longer. It is not something that is easy to reduce to a formula. Like saying
when the rate drops below x per minute then move. The skilled op knows and
senses the state of the bands. They will move in the middle of a high rate
to get an even higher rate with more mults in a particular target area on
another band. The skilled op is the one that gets multipliers out of an
unusual opening, skewed path, or long path at the "wrong" time. The skilled
op moves the right contacts to other bands and only asks for a move when
there is a real chance of propogation.

(as an aside my public enemy number one is the multi multi op who asks me on
15 to go to 80metres to work them on the other side of the world at my noon
time. He is not only a poor operator but a time wasting menace! Hi)

So what is the secret? How do you get to be as good as the paragons. Same as
any other sport. Practice, practice, practice and ONLY listen to advise from
those who know of what they talk! Try advice and if it doesn't suit you do
not be afraid to invent your own way. Then practice a bit more. Join every
contest you can if even only for a few hours. See what rate you can get. See
what bands are open and when. What does a band "sound" like when it is just
beginning to open?

Spend more time contesting than reading emails on this reflector!

How many contest hours have the good ops done before the rest of us
said...that guys good!

Sorry guys; I know it is the modern way to look for the quick and easy
solution but there are no drugs you can take, there is no software you can
buy, there is no equipment you can buy, there is no antenna that you can put
up, there is no special food you can eat, there is no luck and there is no
secret ingredient that will turn you into a great op or even a competent
journeyman.

There is only practice and the thrill of the game.

Don't forget the Oceania contest

PHONE Contest:	0800 UTC Saturday 6 October to 0800 UTC Sunday 7 October
CW Contest:		0800 UTC Saturday 13 October to 0800 UTC Sunday 14 October

73

Martin VK5GN (Journeyman Grade 2)
PS
Some who have been around a while will remember my comments about the packet
piles. On phone at least my technique is now to let it run longer. Not try
to get one call but try to get a few partial calls. By then the pile is
slowing naturally and I have a chance to be heard. I can easily stay in
control for the time to quickly work the calls I have. Then release the pile
again. This gives me quite good rate. This has gotten over the problem I had
which was staying in control. Now cw is harder, well for me anyway!

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com