[CQ-Contest] Re: WAE Rest Periods

Eric Hall K9GY K9GY at contesting.com
Wed Aug 8 13:21:26 EDT 2001

Howdie from the HOT Midwest USA!

Fitting the rest periods into (up to) three slots is an interesting part
of this contest. I would be real happy with four slots but that's another
topic.

For the last two years, I stayed up until around 1:30/2:30am then got
back at it around 5:30am EDT. With another rest period on Sunday afternoon.
So you could take three 4 hr breaks, 1:30a-5:30am (x2), 1:30pm-5:30pm Sun
to get the twelve hours.

During my first East coast experience in 1999, I didn't have to S&P
until early Sunday afternoon. What an experience!

Although this year, I looked at the QST prop charts and made a little
spreadsheet with time vertically and band horizontally. Then I put a
"1" in the cell if the band was open to either E/W EU at that time.
I further "scored" the spreadsheet to weight the band by the
multiplier factor (80=4, 40=3, 20-10=2). What it shows is that you are
incented to operate from 00-08z due to the better mult factor. Take
a very short rest from 09-10:30z (I like the 1.5 hr rest blocks).
then rest again from 20-23z. This maximizes the opportunities for
maximum amount of mult factor in the score, without considering
the rate running ability (maybe need another parameter for that
in the spreadsheet, hi). Anyways, this doesn't conform to the
three rest periods requirements, but I thought it was interesting.

So I'm still in the process of somehow joining what I did before to
my new findings. It's useful thing to do during the plane ride east, hi.

Become "radio-active" in WAE CW this year!
http://www.darc.de/referate/dx/fedcw.htm

W4AN and KC1XX will be battling it out in M/O.
N2NC will be at N2RM, and I'll be at K4JA.
So lot's of RF going to be on this weekend.

BTW, Fred K3ZO pointed out to me in 1999 that QRU means no traffic
at this time (in response to EU "QTC?" requests).

73, Eric K9GY
3rd place USA, WAE CW 1999 & 2000 (@ K3ZO QTH)
Looking to break the ONE million mark this year!

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com