[CQ-Contest] prejudicial language

Pat Collins N8VW n8vw at linuxcolumbus.com
Mon Aug 20 03:00:24 EDT 2001

Tom, Bill, Mario and others,

Why can't we all just get along.  All this SSB contest do not belong on 160
is  just that your opinions and the absolute of "no" contests just doesn't
work with those whose choice is SSB on 160.

There is a problem with SSB on 160 and CW as well.  I can count the number
of times a weak signal was covered by a loud cw signal just as I can the
other various combinations.  Ever listen during the CQWW 160 CW?  If you
have then you know exactly what I mean and for non-east coast stations it is
frustrating.

The real problem is that it is easy to be loud on 160, it is not easy to
hear on 160.  Rules are never going to change that.  At least let us agree
that all this talk of no SSB contests on 160 is going to end.

The real work is to agree that the rules must change for SSB and CW.  There
needs to be more space for stations outside the US and VE to transmit so
they have a chance of being heard, along with that so does the West Coast.
I would suggest that 1850 and below, no US and VE.  1850 to 1875 KHz West of
the Mississippi (VE4 west) and 1875 KHz and above anything goes.  Remember
this is for SSB and CW.

Personally, I've had my best European run on SSB on 1865 or there abouts.
So I know that operating above 1850 KHz is not going to lower my score.  I
have also operated the CQ WW 160 SSB (and ARRL DX CW) from Costa Rica
(TI2CCC qth) in 1995 with a pretty poor antenna from the central valley.  I
know what it is like to hear a wall of US stations calling endless CQ's and
to get know responses.  It took me 15 minutes to get a response from WR8C
and that was only because I knew the op and he finally recognized my voice.

So, these are my suggestions flame me if you will, but lets get to work on
making the contest rules better and lets let some of the SSB ops have a say
without the SSB must die attitude.

Pat N8VW

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com