[CQ-Contest] W4ZV's Most Disruptive Contest

i4jmy at iol.it i4jmy at iol.it
Wed Aug 22 16:30:56 EDT 2001

CW BW is so small like a line on the frequencies domain only on theory
books using hypotethical transmitters.
In other words a zero BW exists when a carrier hasn't inherent noise
and isn't keyed: a moderate BW take place when keying is slow enough
with smooth rise and fall times.
A tone can surely be notched pushing a button, but this is a fake
explaination since the tone is not the carrier bandwith and the RF
noise and CW *clicks* will stay and pollute in the around.
Most recent TX engineering didn't minimize but skyrocketed the listed
effects and the generated noises doesn't drop at all so rapidly (off
the frequency) in the band noise beeing evident when the received
signal is loud, even on 160m.
We all know that out of a limited number of technical Hams, even if
some modifications are possible to minimize such problems, the majority
of the bad transmitters will remain like that and things will be worse
than in the past.
Without starting a debate on the Fourier analysis to define a real CW
bandwith, what's out of the reflector purposes and doesn't modify
reality, to have an idea of reality it's enough to try listening what's
in the nearby of a loud and typical CW signal, expecially in a contest,
but not only.
CW bandwith is times smaller than SSB but the actual noise generated in
its around is well present and bothering, and when those signals are
loud the ratio of available channels is limited also on CW.
The advantage of CW is in allowing narrower filters and a much better
S/N that allows detection of what's unreadable in a wider mode, but
also in a *code* that allows who hasn't the gift to speak a foreign
language or to detect multiple tones in the noise to understand the
information and have a QSO with low S/N.
The above advantage in S/N doesn't mean that any other mode than CW
hasn't sense and it's well known that good operators on both modes are
quite rare so explaining that SSB detection and technique in marginal
situations is just an art likewise CW is, but in a different way.

Back to the original topic, 160m is often a band empty with Ham signals
where room for both modes exists.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com