[CQ-Contest] 3 QSO penalty

k7qq at juno.com k7qq at juno.com
Sat Aug 25 06:54:16 EDT 2001

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:47:46 -0500 "Kenneth E. Harker"
<kharker at cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 11:34:05AM -0400, Bill Coleman wrote:

> reporting format.
> report "no

> unfair to
> > >
> > >I've never understood why "almost" QSOs or "one-way" QSOs or "not
> quite"
> > >QSOs should be logged at all, even at zero points.  If you're not
> confident
> > >that the QSO happened, don't log it.  This doesn't penalize the
> other
> > >station at all unless the other station also decides to log an
> "almost"
> > >or "one-way" or "not quite" QSO.
> >
> > I can think of a number of scenarios that could leave one operator
>
> > unsure, and the other completely assured of a good QSO.
> >
> > Let's take the most basic:
> >
> > You've been up for 27 hours straight. You're in the middle of a
> decent
> > run. Someone calls in, you QSO, but just as you were going to
> press
> > return, you hit another key and his callsign is whiped out. He's
> gone,
> > and you can't remember the callsign you just heard. You want to
> log it,
> > because it was a good QSO for the other guy, but you can only
> guess at
> > the call.
> >
> > If you log it, it's most likely to be a Bad QSO, and you may
> suffer
> > additional penalties. If you don't log it, you'll be find, but the
> OTHER
> > GUY will suffer a NIL and penalties.
>
> So, in this case, you log what you can.  You made a QSO and if you
> fail to
> log it, that's not really ethical.  Why should you be able to "opt
> out"
> of a contact after the fact?  Why should you not be penalized for
> making an
> error like you describe?  Screwing up like that is, in my opinion,
> no
> different than busting a callsign or an exchange but not realizing
> it until
> later.
I had something similar happen in SS one year,  I had just finished
working N5RZ  I thought , however before I could hit the enter key and
log the QSO my power went off and didn't come back for 30 min or so and
the Q was gone.  Now what do I do.    the program won't log the Q without
all blocks filled in and I don't have the slightest Idea what info was
correct or anything.  Now he gets dinged for sure and I don't.
THINGS ARE TOUGH
Quack    aka  Rex

> > Life's not fair.
> >

> > Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
> > Quote: "Not within a thousand years will man ever fly!"
> >             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901
> >

> --

---
> Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"
> kharker at cs.utexas.edu
> University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio
> Callsign: WM5R
> Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur
> Radio Club
> Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on
> Laptops
> Austin, TX 78712-1188 USA
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/

---