[CQ-Contest] Fwd: [FCG] riding the RF gain...

Georgek5kg at aol.com Georgek5kg at aol.com
Mon Dec 3 07:58:55 EST 2001

George I. Wagner, K5KG
941-312-9450
914-312-9460 fax

From: Georgek5kg at aol.com
Full-name: Georgek5kg
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 00:37:17 EST
Subject: Re: [FCG] riding the RF gain...
To: agtan at lomag.net
CC: contest at arrl.org

Art,

In recent years, I have learned to use the radio with the AGC turned off.  I
have learned that many old time cw ops have used this technique for years.  I
don't always do it, but find it useful in some types of condx.  If I am
working a weak pileup, I find that it works really well in distinguishing one
signal from another.  Of course, strong stations calling on the freq will
blast your ears; a real problem forcing the need to ride the RF gain control.

A trick that Dean, N6BV, told me about is to keep the audio gain as low as
possible.  It helps to differientiate one weak sig from another.  In doing
multi-ops with other operators, I find that they generally run the audio gain
too high, IMHO.  I try to keep the audio cranked down to where the sigs are
barely hearable.

Something that I have come across in the past year that I really like is the
binaural cw feature in the Timewave 599zx.  This is a subtle feature that
tends to put the high tones in the right ear and the low tones in the left
ear.  This gives a depth to the cw signals and in a strange way seems to give
a separation of the tones in the brain.  I can't explain it any better than
that, other than to say that I find it pleasant and a help in the pileups.

73, George

George I. Wagner, K5KG
941-312-9450
914-312-9460 fax