[CQ-Contest] FT-920 a contest rig?

K2ONP at aol.com K2ONP at aol.com
Mon Dec 3 10:58:01 EST 2001

Mike;
I just bought a FT-920 as my second rig, with my primary radio being an
IC-765.  Couldn't resist the price ($1075 delivered from HRO)!  I got a
chance to use it in the recent CQWW  CW contest.  My impression is that it is
a real sleeper. I think it has basically the same front end as the FT-1000,
but without the second radio or other bells and whistles.
The main problem is that in the stock radio there is limited provision for
adding additional filtration.  Inrad has come out with switchable boards that
allow you to cascade additional SSB and CW filters.  This should make all the
difference in contest situations.

Dave Jones W2GDJ uses this radio as his primary radio in contests and thinks
very highly of it.

My own experience seems to bear this out.

I like it a lot better than the TS-940 and TS-850, which I have used in
multiop settings. The front end seems to be pretty crushproof, but it needs
more filtering. Also, the synthesizer is quiet.  I  used it in a SO2R setup
and experienced no wideband noise in my main radio.

I plan on investing in the Inrad boards before ARRL phone.

You really should try one and see for yourself.

73's, Geo K2ONP

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com