[CQ-Contest] Fwd: [FCG] riding the RF gain...

Mike W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Dec 5 19:44:50 EST 2001

Hi Clive,

The 90dB figures that are typical of many competition grade
HF receivers, are a measure of the receiver's overall dynamic
range, not of the difference between a weak desired signal and a
3rd order distortion product. For instance, if the two interfering
signals are each ~90 dB above the receiver's thermal noise floor,
then the resulting 3rd order products in our competition grade
receiver will be right at receiver's thermal noise floor. Thus a
desired signal that is 20dB above the thermal noise floor will have
carrier to interference ratio of only +20dB (not +90dB as
might be suggested by the dynamic range specification).

Continuing with a similar example, if I increase the levels of the
interfering carriers by 10dB (both carriers are now 100 dB
above the thermal noise floor), then the resultant third order
products will jump up from the thermal noise floor by 30 dB.
Now my C/I ratio will be -10dB instead of +20dB. In this case,
reducing the RF gain of the receiver may offer an improved C/I
ratio because the third order products may fall at a faster rate
than the signal drops and the thermal noise floor rises (this
will be true if the 3rd order distortion is taking place after the
point in the receiver's RF/IF chain where the AGC is applied).

I think this is what Tree was getting at (e.g. he was talking about
Signal to Distortion ratio instead of overall receiver Dynamic
Range).

73 de Mike, W4EF.............