[CQ-Contest] Fwd: [FCG] riding the RF gain...

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon Dec 17 08:27:04 EST 2001

On 12/15/01 5:36 PM, Guy Olinger, K2AV at k2av at contesting.com wrote:

>My guess at why the K2 has the receiver it does, aside from good design, is
>because it doesn't have a noise blanker,

The K2NB High-performance Noise Blanker is an option. And only $35 at
that.

>and so doesn't need the bandwidth
>at some point in the front end to allow the NB to sense the quick rise times
>for blanking. It's narrow from the get-go and so there is less coming
>through the pipe to cause trouble. That's a real advantage if you don't
>need/want the NB.

I think you're on the right track, but the wrong culprit. The K2 does
have a noise blanker (as an option), but the simpler IF chain comes from
being a single-conversion receiver. It's the completely lack of
general-coverage receive that helps here. (As it does in the Ten-Tec
OMNI-V and VI receivers)

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com