[CQ-Contest] Water Weak

Scott Ellington sdelling at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 18 14:18:01 EST 2001

> W4ZV wrote:
>
>         The judgement of "water-weak" is probably different for every
> contester depending on your location, antennas and ears.  I've learned
> through experience what my threshold is and don't waste my time trying
> to go below it.
>
>                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

That threshold, for me, depends on the rate.  When there's an excellent chance
of getting another call in less time than it takes to dig out the really weak
one, it's just not worth it.  When the band is crowded, trying too long is also
an excellent way to lose the frequency.  Conversely, when things are slow, I'll
work anything I can hear.

Of course, sometimes I'm on the other end.  That's life.

One can view cw speed similarly:  When a station is running at 120/hr, one
shouldn't expect the operator to slow down to 15 wpm.  When CQ's are going
unanswered, a QSO at any speed is worth points.

73,

Scott  K9MA

--
Scott Ellington