[CQ-Contest] Bad Packet Spots

Blake M. Meinecke n4gi at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Dec 20 18:58:16 EST 2001

Another possiblility scenario here, I have heard it happen a few times in
the heat of the battle.

Rarer mults are almost always weaker than the "average" big gun runner.  If
the bug gun runner has his mono-stack pointed in the opposite direction
(those rarer mults are always the other direction...) he might not hear that
station, and proceed to CQ away on top of it.  In most cases I have heard,
the pileup is the rare mult's "placeholder" on the band.  A handfull might
have heard that mult, worked it, posted it, but that placeholder pileup may
not have developed to do its job and the frequency gets consumed by big gun.

Just a theory and observation, devils advocate style.
BTW, I don't have a big gun station, but one of these days I'll work BY4A on
80 from FL in the middle of the afternoon like all those other chaps do in
the DX contests.....

73
Blake N4GI

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com