[CQ-Contest] ROTTEN OPERATING

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av at contesting.com
Sat Dec 29 19:55:25 EST 2001

ROTTEN, YES, BUT IT'S BETTER TO WORK THE DUPES...or PRAGMATISM over
PUFF'NPRATTLE.

I hope that we all know, flawed operating notwithstanding, given the
inevitability of some level of  duplicate contacts, IF you are using a
logging computer:

1) Dups in usual quantities don't count against us anymore. (Any one not
convinced of this please contact whomever authoritative you can trust in the
contest scoring crowd, and get it cleared up. You are not up with some
important changes.)

2) It's arguably faster to give the contact than to stop and hassle (or
re-QSO) with the 1 in X who DOESN'T have you in the log for whatever reason,
after sending SRI B4 (no faster to send than 5NN14). A haggle always screws
up the pileup rhythm. Whereas the dupe always uses up a contact space,
minimum, no matter what tack you take on them. If you're a new mult, you
WILL get a haggle. Possibility of this kind of haggle increases
exponentially if you're a rare mult. If I'm working you, especially when I
get tired, I'm convinced I'm right and I haven't worked you.  (Only get
guilty AFTER the test when I discover I "worked" ZZ8Z.)

3) Dups are NOT removed in the Cabrillo format, they should be left in. The
scoring program deals with them.

4) In the case that the first time calls (both) were mangled, the second
contact (that looks like a dupe to you) is the one that will give you points
and help offset the first one which is a bad QSO. (This dupe was at least
partly your fault.)

5) In the case that you worked the dupe on timing the first contact, and he
was really working the guy up 500 Hz ... as in 4) the dupe becomes a scored
contact and is offset points for the first contact, which you thought was
good and gets scored as NIL. (This dupe was your fault.)

6) Your logging program accounts for what it thinks are dupes and the
running score (Upper left corner in TR) is unaffected by them.

73, Guy.