[CQ-Contest] 160 Antenna for NAQP...

Dan Levin djl at andlev.com
Sun Dec 30 15:55:39 EST 2001

Guys,

I need to put up a 160 meter antenna at my 'new' station in Boonville,
Northern California.  I will use it exclusively for NAQP, I think (Boonville
is no good for DX contests, SS doesn't use 160, so I guess CQP is the only
other possible use).  My QTH is, for the purposes of US propogation, on the
top of a 1500 foot hill with fairly steeply sloping foreground.   My goal is
8-12 'west coast' multipliers (OR, WA, NV, UT, NM, ID, etc.).  My choices
(in order of increasing 'cost'), along with my estimates of time required,
are below.  Time is extremely precious (I know, time on the order on an hour
seems like nothing, but trust me it counts in this situation), so the
question is whether the higher 'cost' options are 'worth it.'  Thoughts?

1) Inverted V, peak (feedpoint) at 70' on my tower, element tips at 5' or
so.  Far and away the easiest, just climb the tower and set the feedpoint,
then tune the elements -> 30-45 minutes .

2) 'Flat top' dipole at 70', with the wire running from NE to SW.  Probably
costs an additional 30-45 minutes (for a total of 60-90 minutes) because I
have to get a rope into a tree and take the antenna up and down to tune it.

3) Inverted L with 2 raised (@15') resonant radials.  Vertical portion
probably 70' high.  Most annoying because I have to figure out how to
suspend the ends of the radials, tune them, then get a support into a tree,
and tune the whole antenna.  Plus I have to measure and cut 3 pieces of
wire, instead of just two.  Probably costs a total of 2-3 hours I'd guess.

Any and all input appreciated.  I know nothing about Top Band, having made a
total of maybe 15 contacts there in my life (all during previous NAQP's!).

            ***dan, K6IF

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com