[CQ-Contest] Re: TS-850 Computer Interface

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Fri Jul 6 20:41:25 EDT 2001

At 08:35 AM 7/6/01 +0000, Dave Hachadorian wrote:
>You don't need the Kenwood RS-232 Interface to hook it up to a
>computer, just a very simple passive circuit. A diagram can be
>found at:
>
>http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/ts850_mods.txt

While down at WP3X in 1998, W0GJ and built up this circuit for use with our
TS-850s.  In neither case did it work.

Down in Puerto Rico we lacked the test equipment to get to the root of the
problem.  However, my suspicion is that it had something to do with the
laptop computers we were trying to make it work with.  I have found that
the serial ports in some laptops are not capable of driving much of a load
on the port lines without the voltage dropping too low.  For example, the
MFJ 1683 RS-232 interface (available pre-wired for ICOM, KENWOOD, or YAESU)
is powered from the serial port control lines.  This interface will not
work with my Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop because the port lines drop too low
under the loading.  This same interface works fine on a desktop computer.

I'm not saying to not perhaps try the the circuit referred by
K6LL.  However, because it has no active devices, keep in mind that it
might not work.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com