[CQ-Contest] Kudos to CQ WW for Busting Packet Cheaters!

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Jul 26 14:36:48 EDT 2001

On 7/24/01 8:03 PM, Bill Turner at w7ti at dslextreme.com wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:03:22 -0400, Bill Coleman wrote:
>
>>But, if you USE the information you see in the spots, won't it affect
>>your log in some way that may be measurable?

>The cheats will figure out a way.  For instance, if they're on 40
>and see a juicy spot on 20, they'll move to 20, work a few
>stations first and then pounce on it.  Vary the timing a bit,
>like sometimes getting it immediately and other times waiting a
>few minutes.

And while you are messing around trying to obfuscate your cheating,
you're losing ground to the guys who are heads-down working Qs and not
cheating....

>And occasionally, just to throw 'em off, skip the
>obvious spot entirely.  Do it cleverly enough and the log checker
>would have a difficult time proving anything.

You miss the point. A log checker never has to "prove" anything. Contest
adjudication isn't a court of law. What the judges say is final. If they
see enough screwy stuff in a log, they can go ahead and DQ it, even if
just their "intuition" tells them it's a cheat.

If the USE of packet information would affect your score, then there's
got to be a way for a contest judge to determine that effect. If you
lessen the impact of that information, I'll grant that it may be harder
to descern. Of course, if you lessen the impact -- then using packet
information is less of a benefit, no?

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com