[CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R

Bill Turner w7ti at dslextreme.com
Fri Jul 27 14:49:05 EDT 2001

On 27 Jul 2001 12:06:15 -0700, Mike Gilmer - N2MG wrote:

>With all the technology that we've come to accept as
>in the spirit of the single operator, I just don't see
>any difference in adding a second xcvr.

Ok, I'll fill you in.

When you're operating 1R, you will typically transmit about 35% of the
contest period and listen about 65%.  (My guesstimate; use your own
numbers if you like).

With 2R, your transmit % is about the same, but you are now receiving
during 100% of the contest period.  In a 24 hour contest, that gives you
an extra 8.4 hours of listening time, AND ON MULTIPLE BANDS, not just
the one you're CQ'ing or S&P'ing on.

IMO that is an advantage comparable to HP vs LP, and should have its own
class likewise.

Where am I wrong?

73, Bill W7TI

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com