[CQ-Contest] USA WRTC 2002 Team Selections

Jimmy Weierich kg2au at stny.rr.com
Tue May 15 16:52:10 EDT 2001

Joe, K8JP wrote:

 >Sour grapes? If they are the best, they should go again, and again, until
 >someone is better. Don't dummy this down like everyother venue in America!

I agree 100%.

 >On the other hand, we are not selecting our team, the OH gang is. They,
 >apparently, will rely on our input, but We are NOT selecting OUR
 >representatives to the WRTC. This I don't like.

Here I must disagree. We should not be selecting "our team" or "our
representatives", we should be selecting the best contesters in the
world. This is not a contest among nations or regions, it is a
contest among individuals (okay, teams of two). I would hate to see
this become an event, like the Olympics, where the national or
continental "medal count" almost becomes more important than the
individual accomplishments.  Selection of participants may need to be
allocated, to some degree, on geographic areas due to population
distribution. But I don't believe it should be based on national
boundaries. And the objections that a certain area is under
represented or not represented at all are irrelevant. This is not a
representative contest, it is a contest of the best in the world.

The geographic differences in propagation and proximity to ham
population centers makes a truly objective selection process
impossible. With a subjective system there will never be 100%
agreement as to who are the best 50 or 100 contesters in the world.

However, I think most people would agree that the present system has
included the 25 best contesters in the world, even if the rest of the
field can be disputed.

And isn't that the intention, to include the very best?

Jimmy
--
Jimmy Weierich, KG2AU       <kg2au at stny.rr.com>
Vestal, NY  USA           FN12xa