[CQ-Contest] 756Pro: definition of 'ratty'

David O Hachadorian k6ll at juno.com
Fri Nov 30 09:03:36 EST 2001

I have gotten used to operating cw with the agc turned off,
to allow a wider dynamic range in a pileup situation. I
think it also improves the s/n on pw signals.

When I tried to do this recently, operating as a guest op
at a station equipped with a Mark V, I could hear some
definite digital artifacts on loud signals. The artifacts
were not there with the agc turned on, but I don't like
the sound of agc compression on cw.

After going into the menus and turning off all DSP, the
signals were completely clean, and I operated the entire
contest that way.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL at juno.com