[CQ-Contest] CQWW Logging Question

GERALD A TREAS k8gt at flash.net
Fri Nov 2 04:17:34 EST 2001

Anthony,

Most of the serious contest logging programs have very rugged well written
parsers that can handle most anything, but with a few cautions.  Since I am
a NA user, I will speak only for that particular logging program.

First, I only log those type of portable references that are important to
the
contest, for scoring or multiplier.  /QRP does not, so I do not log it.  The
same with /p, or /m, those are a waste of time and won't affect scoring,
except in detrimental ways, like in your case.  Anything along those lines,
I use NA's <ALT-N> (notes) to add anything as a note with the log, but
not in the log.  There is no country that has sole use of the letter P for
its
prefix, so well written software won't consider it another country.  You
would have to log it as /PA or /PY etc. for it to be considered another
country.  There (currently) is no use of  0 (Zero) or 1 (one) as a legally
assigned ITU prefix block.  Don't log anything with the call that isn't
necessary to the particular contest.

If a country has divisions that are denoted by the number in the call, and
the
station is being operated in another division, then log it  as /1 or /8 etc.
As
I said, properly written software can handle it.  In the case of JH3XCU
operating in the 1st call area, log it as JH3XCU/1, and VE5UA/6 and
GJ/W4EE is correct.

If your logging software can't handle it, get one that is designed for
serious
contesting.  Most of those have parsers that can compute the country
regardless whether the prefix is before or after the main call, like
PJ2/K8GT,
or K8GT/VE3, or VE5/K8GT,  in all except the very rarest of situations.

73,  Gerry K8GT

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com