[CQ-Contest] CQWW Logging Question

Jim Reisert jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 2 06:52:43 EST 2001

I disagree with this.  You should log the callsign as it's heard on the
air.  If you hear "HB0 stroke DL7ALM stroke portable" then you should enter
HB0/DL7AlM/P in your log.   Similarly if you hear "W1JR QRP" then log
"W1JR/QRP".

The logging software should be smart enough to ignore parts of the callsign
that do not affect its country status, in determining the multiplier.

The log checking software should be lenient enough to recognize that
W1JR/QRP and W1JR are the same station, and to not penalize a station for
logging the extra designation (or not).

The bottom line, log what the other station sends.  He may want a QSL in
return that has that designation, for example, he's trying to work DXCC all
mobile or QRP.  Nowadays when we print QSL labels instead of hand-writing
the information, the special designator will get lost otherwise.  Or will
appear forged if hand-written onto the printed label after the fact.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com