[CQ-Contest] SS observations ( kinda long)

KI9A at aol.com KI9A at aol.com
Sun Nov 4 23:03:35 EST 2001

Well, I sit here Sunday night after another fun SSCW.  I can't help to ponder
if (when?) the CAC may change the SS rules to help cure the Sunday doldrums.

Before you begin to write the flames to me, think about this for a bit. If it
wasn't for all of the QRP guys S&P'ing, & the big boys with SO2R, I would
have even less of a run. Heck, I'd be S&Ping all Sunday!  Before you say " it
would turn into a big NAQP",  lets think about the difference. NAQP- 10
hours. SS 24. You have 2 shots at hitting open bands during SS. NAQP, only
one.  Make multiple Q's with same station. Keep MULTS the same.

Ok, so it'll kill all previous SS records. So what? WPX has changed. Today,
we have so, so much in life to do, competing with radio, not to mention
sitting in a chair all weekend, that us, as contesters, need to make it
inviting as possible. I am one of those. I have another expensive hobby
(passion) that not only competes with radio contesting money  & time. Old
cars. I restore them. I cruise them. I show them.
Oh yeah, did I mention Family time?

I love contesting. I really dig SS. But, it seems every year, I have a
tougher time keeping my butt in the chair all day Sunday, maybe a slight
tweak in the rules is in order?

Let the flames begin!

73 & CU in SS SSB
Chuck KI9A