[CQ-Contest] A Tribute to Horst Lemp, DL8PC, R.I.P.

Fred Laun K3ZO aalaun at attglobal.net
Tue Nov 6 15:28:20 EST 2001

My friend Karl Renz, K4YT, a member of the German DARC, tells me that a
recent issue of the DARC's magazine DL-QTC reports that Horst Lemp, DL8PC,
has become a Silent Key.  I feel that I cannot let this news pass without
paying tribute to this quiet, self-effacing but enthusiastic contester.
"DL8-Papa-Charlie" was a reliable QSO on several bands in every phone DX
contest in which I participated.

I was fortunate to visit Horst a few years ago while in Germany to attend
the Friedrichshafen hamfest.  Horst met Karl and myself at the country inn
of Walter, DJ6QT, and took us on a guided tour of his rural antenna farm on
a high portion of farmland which he rented from a local farmer for the
express purpose of setting up his contest station.  Just like Walter
himself, and a number of other German contesters, Horst was constrained by
German RF exposure regulations from operating contests from his home, so he
rented a piece of farmland for the express purpose of engaging in
contesting.  Now there's an enthusiastic contester for you!

Horst ran the legal limit at his contest station and had antennas for all
bands including 160, but they were not all that high and were fairly modest
as I recall, wires and tribanders.  The location, while not on a hilltop,
was high and open and undoubtedly contributed to the fine signal I recall
on every band.  Reportedly Horst died with his contest boots on,
so-to-speak, suffering a cerebal hemhorrage while operating a contest, then
trying to make it to his car parked outside, falling in a ditch in the
process, where he was found much later either dead or dying.  Thus he went
out enjoying contesting right up to the end.  What an elegant way for a
contester to exit, Horst!   R.I.P.

Fred Laun, K3ZO

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com