[CQ-Contest] The sport of contesting?

Maurizio Panicara i4jmy at iol.it
Wed Nov 7 19:38:59 EST 2001

Apart occasionals and DX searchers or few named *king operators* that sit
down and operate in a fine setup as SOAB, possibly with a number of vallets
that care about they can 100% concentrate on the game itself, contests are
made by a consistent number of people that also erect and climb towers and
install antennas (possibly taking them down one day after),  carry radios
and other heavy packages away from home, may be work under the rain or walk
in the mud (i.e. to place beverages), suffer cold or warm climates, stay
awake for 48 hours after days (and nights) of work and do many other similar
amenities of this kind.
May be at least under this perspective a part of contesters, probably the
most insane, deals in an activity that's definitely more similar to a sport
like penthatlon than bridge, chess, monopoly, scrabble, pool, darts, are to
contesting, by far.

73,
Mauri I4JMY