[CQ-Contest] Re: Realtime Scoring Site

Rich Dailey, KA8OKH okh.npi at gte.net
Fri Nov 9 05:10:51 EST 2001

>One problem is that giving away your score in real time helps
>others to overtake you, if needed, or helps others to stay ahead
>of you if already ahead.

Good point - didn't think of that.  I guess I was mostly thinking
about it in terms of attracting others to the sport/hobby.

>In the last minutes of the contest you could make a decision whether to
>make a band change or stay put, etc., based on the knowledge
>that you needed a given level of performance to win.

And this is placing more importance on the amount of technology
available to the operator,  and less on her knowledge of propagation
and skill.  Another good point.

> Drawing a parallel with auto racing, under the present system, without
>realtime scoring information, each entrant competes on a
>different racetrack with no view of his competitors position
>relative to his own.

This was the exact analogy I was making in my mind when I
was thinking about this idea.  More exciting for the spectators,
but the race team *must* have this information available to them
at all times in order to remain competitive.  Did that guy take 2 tires
or 4?  Did he take 2 hours off time or 4?  Guess that's why all
the race teams have small tv dishes in their pits.

And certainly another catagory (SO/REALTIME/ASSISTED) [ugh]
wouldn't help, as the info is freely available to everyone.  I should've
thought this out a lil more,  perhaps left it in my outbox until the
caffeine wore off.  Gotta admit though,  it would be pretty cool.

Rich, KA8OKH

Rich Dailey, KA8OKH - Phyllis Dailey, KB4NPI
<http://home1.gte.net/web22jfw/>

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com