[CQ-Contest] RULES ARE RULES

Bill Turner w7ti at dslextreme.com
Tue Nov 20 07:00:13 EST 2001

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:23:14 -0500, Don Munson wrote:

>Can I ask a question?  I worked a little of the sweepstakes and I saw the
>original post.  Can someone explain why the callsign is part of the
>exchange?

The callsign requirement comes from the early days of SS.  Back then, SS
was a contest for traffic handlers, and on formal traffic, the call of
the sending station was a required part of the header.

In the earliest days, the sending station had to send a complete message
and the receiving station had to repeat it back in its entirety.  Thank
goodness THAT was dropped.  :-)

Just tradition, nothing more.

73, Bill W7TI

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com