[CQ-Contest] RULES ARE RULES

Dale L Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Tue Nov 20 18:32:21 EST 2001

> I also don't believe that the rules make it required to send the
> information in a specific order - or that the callsign need to be
> part of the "exchange" (the exchange being identified as the
> transmission where you send your QSO number, precedence, check and
> section).

While it's not explicitly spelled out (I guess that's needed these
days...sigh), it's implicitly stated in the form of the order of the list of
exchange contents and the example exchange being sent to W1AW.

Makes sense to me to follow their example.

I don't fault those who send it out of order.  They may be operating without
a copy of the rules and without insight as to the meaning of the exchange.
Look at the NA Sprint and how many stations don't seem to know the
difference between a CQ QSO exchange and a S&P QSO exchange. I know it took
me a while before I did a 'whack on the side of my head' and enlightenment
happened.

>From http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/rules-novss.html

4.Exchange: The required exchange consists of:
4.1. A consecutive serial number;
4.2. Precedence;
4.2.1. "Q" for Single Op QRP (5 W output or less);
4.2.2. "A" for Single Op Low Power (up to 150 W output);
4.2.3. "B" for Single Op High Power (greater than 150 W output);
4.2.4. "U" for Single Op Unlimited;
4.2.5. "M" for Multi-Op;
4.2.6. "S" for School Club;
4.3. Your Callsign;
4.4. Check (the last two digits of the year you were first licensed);
4.5. ARRL/RAC Section

Example: WA4QQN would respond to W1AW's call by sending: W1AW 123 B WA4QQN
71 NC which indicates QSO number 123, B for Single Op High Power, WA4QQN,
first licensed in 1971, and in the North Carolina section.

73,
dale, kg5u

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com