[CQ-Contest] RULES ARE RULES

Mark Beckwith swca at swbell.net
Wed Nov 21 06:26:01 EST 2001

Interesting discussion.  My original reply to Mal was to suggest the rules might
reasonably be interpreted to not disallow the activity he was complaining about.
I went and read them over again and I still maintain this is the case.

Whatever you're talking about, Leigh, about it getting made clearer over the
decades, I can't see in print.

I agree with Tree that it would only make sense to do it if it made your score
get bigger.  I never said I thought it was a good idea.  I would not use it on
CW ever, and on SSB I only use it when S&Ping and only when talking to someone
who would identify me without my call - i.e. close buddies where you might want
to “dispense with the formalities" as a favor to them since they’re serious and
you’re not.  In any event, you know they got you call since they came back to
you with it right.

But then, I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  Dale reminded me of the
fact that in the Sprint, even though the rules don’t specify it, there has
evolved a convention of sending the exchange differently depending on whether
you’re taking the freq or exiting the freq at the end, so tuners can figure out
who is up next.  Very smart. Dick Norton explained this to me in 1990 - after I’
d been operating the contest for about 8 years.  “D-oh!”

Mark, N5OT

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com