[CQ-Contest] Inspiration or ?

Shelby Summerville k4ww at home.com
Tue Oct 2 20:09:39 EDT 2001

Bill Fisher, W4AN wrote:  "Maybe this is an idea for a column in the NCJ?
Winning on a budget!"

If "winning" means finishing at the "top of the heap", or even close, then I
don't believe it is possible? My definition of "top of the heap" is an all
band operation, and not from some "exotic" QTH. Without opening another
"endless thread", I am far more impressed by those that consistently have
high finishes using an "on a budget" station (small lot with no room for
second antenna to use with second radio, 1 tower, triband) than I am by
those that have "mega stations"!  The "mega stations" serve a very useful
purpose by allowing some to operate in a "wining" environment that could
never be accomplished from their own station? I am a realist and realize
that I will never have a "mega station", so it is in my best interest to
have my own definition of "winning"! When I have finished a contest, I can
then only decide if I have "won". When the "enjoyment" level is sufficient
to allow me to believe that in that particular contest I did my best:  "I
won"!
Shelby, K4WW

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com